Tuesday, 7 November 2006

Tat and Tolkien

Even though my parish priest is currently away, I still managed to have a day-off today. First of all, I popped into the Wallace Collection to view the 'Pomp and Power: French Drawings from Versailles' exhibition. Then, after visiting a few favourite bookshops (including London's best secondhand Catholic bookshop, Thorntons on the Fulham Road - which, incidentally, may be closing next year), I went to the Oratory to Richard Luzar's annual vestment show.

I wasn't going to buy anything - but couldn't resist an embroidered amice (£7.50) and, most amazingly, a black cope that was reduced to £40! It's not particularly nice but, with copes, the key thing is the shape and this one is classically Roman. For £40 you can't really go wrong and you never know when a black cope will come in handy. Watch out Kingsland!


Then I went to St Vincent's Centre, Carlisle Place to the London Faith Forum talk. I'm not able to attend these regularly but went along tonight to support my friend, Fr Mark Swires of the diocese of Brentwood, who was speaking on '"Light in Dark Places" - The Life of Grace in the Lord of the Rings.' I'm rather under-read when it comes to Tolkien (mea culpa) but the talk was very interesting and Fr Swires handled the questions very well. Here he is looking rather relieved after the talk was finished:

I must make another effort to read the Lord of the Rings - Fr Swires' talk and Peter Kreeft's excellent The Philosophy of Tolkien (Ignatius Press, 2005), which I flicked through over the summer, have certainly wetted my appetite.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Joee Blogs said...

Gosh you are trad! You'd be most welcome at our fortnightly restaurant Mass!

Re
Thorntons on the Fulham Road
Where is this!? I'd love to go it sounds just AWESOME!!! All these 2nd hand wonderful classical Catholic books - that's Heaven ... well almost!

11:20 pm  
Blogger Fr Nicholas said...

Thanks. Thorntons is on the Fulham Rd, near the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital and opposite the entrance to the Brompton cemetery. It's within walking distance (just) from South Kensington or a short ride on the number 14 bus. The basement is a paradise of fairly cheap Catholic books and 50% of my fairly substantial library has come from the shop over a period of 13 years. So, start collecting now!

7:34 am  
Blogger northern cleric said...

"you never know when a black cope will come in handy."

Oh, Father! I find mine very handy for funerals :-)

10:14 am  
Anonymous Andrew said...

Father - you should have dropped into the St. Wilfred's chapel. I was serving a Tridentine mass there. I only realised Luzarr had his vestment show, after coming into the car park. Looks like he had some good stuff there.

1:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh - you are now famous across the pond!
http://ncregister.com/site/article/138

11:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh - you are now famous across the pond!
http://ncregister.com/site/article/138

11:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>