Thursday, 5 June 2008

A Catholic Priest on Jim'll Fix It

I haven't posted for some time and the easy way to remedy this is to post a charming video that I found completely accidentally on You Tube:



As a child I remember watching Jim'll Fix It, in which Jimmy Savile tried to fulfil the ambitions of viewers. Sir Jimmy is a devout Catholic, as you can see from the 'K.C.S.G.' that appears after his name in the end credits. If you don't want to listen to the pipes, forward to 4:39 and see the 'indulgenced' Jim'll Fix It medal. It's also amazing how dated this 1984 footage now seems - a lost world?

I've been thinking about bagpipes recently since a piper occasionally uses our hall for rehearsals. As a teenager I took bagpipe lessons and I still have a set, though I haven't touched them since piping in the Scots College when they attended a festal dinner at the Venerable English College, Rome in 2001. But they might come in useful in the parish for weddings, funerals and the New Year...

2 Comments:

Blogger Oliver McCarthy said...

Ah! From deepest darkest Cork, here McCarthies still roam wild!

I hate the term "devout Catholic", even though it's often used. (A touch too much of Cherie about it nowadays, IMHO!) But Jimmy has always been great fun, and he was an immensely entertaining figure in those far off days of 1980s childhood. I can't quite imagine Graham Norton or John Barrowman having quite the same appeal, let along talking about people going to Heaven when they die.

2:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Devout Catholic though Jimmy Saville may be, it doesn't alter the fact that he is ghastly.

11:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>