Wednesday 11 June 2008

St Thomas' Inspiration?


During my lunchbreak at the archives today I found a wonderful new food store and, feeling rather adventurous, bought some Dandelion and Burdock, a traditional British soft drink, for my lunch. According to Wikipedia, this drink (despite its reputed 'British-ness') is linked to a rather interesting legend:

St Thomas Aquinas, after praying for inspiration for a full night, walked from his place of prayer straight into the countryside and, "trusting in God to provide", concocted the drink from the first plants he encountered. It was this drink that aided his concentration when seeking to formulate his theological arguments that ultimately culminated in the Summa Theologica.
So if this blog suddenly becomes a work of theological genius, you'll know why...

4 Comments:

Blogger PeterHWright said...

Dandelion and Burdock can be mixed with gin to make a DB&G. I'm told it tastes quite nice.

I don't know in what proportion the ingredients would be mixed, or in what sort of glass it would be served. Something like a gin fizz, perhaps ? Served in a highball glass ? I really don't know.

I must make some enquiries.

8:41 pm  
Blogger M.J. said...

Hmmm... apparently great minds think alike, perhaps due to some dandelion induced inspiration. Mrs. Andrew Parkes (of the blog 'Catholic Mom of 10') also has something about this drink on her blog.

4:02 am  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

How does it taste?

9:56 pm  
Blogger WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

I love D&B! Sadly it doesn't seem to have made me into a genius...or *sigh* a saint.
Must drink more of it.
Fentons D&B is the BEST btw. They sell it at the Deli where my son works.

6:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>