Tuesday 14 August 2007

Assumpta Est Maria

Yes, I am still alive, but opportunities for blogging are rather limited since I'm conducting a private retreat for some Carmelite sisters in a country far away from home. My day consists of Mass, two 40 minute conferences, Holy Hour and individual sesions with those who want them - and that's quite enough in the oven-like heat. In fact, it's so hot that I haven't even been for any walks yet.

Thank God for air conditioning and for the white cassock that I'm wearing. Don't get too excited - it is not exactly Gammerelli style, basically a sort of alb with buttons, with no Roman collar as such. It's what they wear in these parts and it keeps me cool, although it makes me look very Indian!

As I write this, the muezzin is calling the people to prayer from a nearby minaret. In fact, I'm woken up by this at 4.30 every morning - I suppose I should use it as an opportunity to recite Matins but I'm pretty useless at that time. The call of the minaret is heard throughout the day, including during our Holy Hour. How different it is from my home parish!

Great excitement here because tomorow is not only the Solemnity of the Assumption but also Indian Independence Day (I hadn't realised before that they both fall on the same day). So I'll be celebrating an especially solemn Mass for my Indian sisters - and they have a box of chocolates ready for afterwards.

To wherever you are in the world - buona festa!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger DP said...

Happy Feast of the Assumption from Canada! :-)

5:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We want to see your new clothes, father!

9:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Individual direction hey? That sounds cool! my daughter Katy got a box of chocolates last night..turning 18 on the great feast...God bless

9:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh do you have the sunglasses to go with the cassock? lol

9:32 am  
Blogger Fr Nicholas said...

My sunglasses broke during the flight so I'll need to get a cheap replacement. I don't really ned them because I spend almost all day indoors, near the air conditioning.

When I return to the UK I'll post some pictures of my tropical attire!

Jackie - belated happy birthday to Katy.

10:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Fr Nicholas...oh please go for prada glasses! lol

10:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>