Back in Time
Roving Medievalist tagged me a week or so ago with the question: if an angel could take me back in time, what five things or occasions would I like to experience? Ignoring Biblical events - and thinking very much on the spur of the moment - an interesting itinerary for time travel might be:
- St Augustine's first meeting with King St Ethelbert on the Isle of Thanet (Kent), 597.
- A day trip to either London or Oxford around the year 1500 to visit the churches and religious houses on the eve of the Reformation.
- Hear Palestrina conduct the Sistine Choir, Monteverdi direct Vespers at San Marco or Farinelli sing.
- Sit in choir at Frascati Cathedral for the enthronement of Henry Stuart [above], the Cardinal Duke of York and son of 'James III' (who sat in state on the sanctuary) in 1761. The fountains in the town square flowed with red wine afterwards.
- Be present at Newman's 'Second Spring' Sermon at Oscott in 1852.
Now I'm supposed to pass this 'meme' on - so, if they read this, I will challenge Hermeneutic of Continuity, Valle Adurni, Joee Blogs, Cally's Kitchen and Ignatius Paul. It would be intriguing to see what they propose...