Sunday 5 November 2006

A Hampshire Retreat

Last weekend I returned from my annual retreat at Farnborough Abbey in Hampshire. It's only today that I've been bothered to transfer some photos onto my computer. For those who aren't familiar with the Abbey, this is the interior of the church (small but very beautiful):


And here's the altar where I celebrated Mass each morning - it originally came from an Anglican convent on Queen's Square, London, who were received into the Catholic Church by the Abbot in 1908.

The grounds aren't huge but there are some fields (with pigs, cows, chickens, etc) and a lovely path which is ideal for a 'rosary walk':


No pictures of newly blessed Abbot Cuthbert, I'm afraid (a pity since he managed to wear a different abbatial cross each day of the week, except Friday) but the Abbey is fully recommended for a convenient 'monastic retreat' on the doorstep of London.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Fr Nicholas said...

Sadly, since I was concentrating on my retreat, I restrained my picture taking!

7:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"a different abbatial cross each day of the week"

I've seen some of the crosses my own abbot has received as gifts over the years. The gift-giver expects to see the cross worn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

So is ugliness.

To each his own.

1:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DO NOT PUBLISH:

Dear Father,

Baronius Press is a small Catholic publishing house producing
traditional Catholic books (www.baroniuspress.com). We have just launched a new paperback series (which is unfortunately moving very slowly, even in the run up to Christmas!), and I was wondering whether you would be able to help us promote it through your blog site, or any other means such as reviews etc? I can email you a banner if there is room at the top of your page to display it. I'd be
happy to send you review copies if needed.

In Christ,

Joel Newman
www.baroniuspress.com

12:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>