Saturday 23 June 2007

A Walk in Honour of the Martyrs


Today I attended part of the Martyrs' Walk, organised by the Continuity Movement. The pilgrimage started at Tower Hill, the site of the martyrdoms of SS John Fisher, Thomas More and others, and ended at Tyburn Convent with Mass this evening. I was only able to meet them at Christ Church Greyfriars on Newgate Street, within the shadow of St Paul's Cathedral, and stay to give a talk, before dashing back to the parish for an afternoon of classes and meetings.

I had the honour of meeting Catholic Mom of 10, who can be seen in the picture below together, of course, with Auntie Joanna. 'Catholic Mom' won major brownie points by holding an umbrella over me when it began raining, halfway during my talk. Thanks, Jackie.


There were about 150 pilgrims making the walk, including four priests. It was wonderful to talk about the Franciscan martyrs in the open air, on the site of the nave of London Greyfriars - though I developed a repetitive thumb injury through having to press down the button on the walkie-talkie for 20 minutes! Still, it was nothing compared to what the martyrs suffered.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Father for putting up the photos so quickly - I have only just got in and turned on the computer! Also thank you for the text of the talk - it was such a long walk to the 'facilities' that I missed the first part, so was very glad to have the whole thing to read again. It was a good day altogether.

Amette

PS I did THINK about holding my umbrella over you, [maybe half a brownie point?] but Jackie got there first, which was just as well as mine kept turning inside out!

10:47 pm  
Blogger the owl of the remove said...

'Blair in Rome' - "The young Gladstone visited in 1838, together, if I remember rightly, with the future Cardinal Manning.."
Father, for a man who is 169 years old, you look very sprightly.

5:08 am  
Blogger Fr Nicholas said...

LOL!

7:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were wonderful & it was a privilege to hold the umbrella! i hope we meet up again in the future!

My husband has just gone to Mass after asking me a simple question. He said ' so we're not going to get much sense out of you today then!'

God bless

10:26 am  
Blogger The love of Jesus said...

Strange thing re the umbrella! We were at evening Mass on Friday evening & i suddenly thought we could do with an umbrella for the walk. Would you believe we were given one by our Oratory Sacristan which we brought with us. Then it started raining & the thought came to me..the umbrella! i wonder was it blessed! lol

6:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hog the posts but just realised the last one was from my son Alex's blog! he's only 10...

9:28 pm  
Blogger Fr Nicholas said...

To the author of The Love of Jesus blog - so it was you who was inspired to send your mum and hold the umbrella over me. Many thanks! By the way, your new blog is splendid. God bless.

10:25 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

More pictures of the Martyrs' Walk can be seen at http://www.traditionalcatholic.org.uk

1:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>