Wednesday 28 June 2006

A Busy Day Off

Over the last 24 hours I've given my Crusades talk twice. They both went fairly well, although it's such a large subject that I soon found myself entering dangerous waters over such areas as the life of Mohammed and Christian communities in the Middle East (about which I'm no expert).

Last night's talk was at the Holy Ghost, Balham - where Fr Stephen Langridge (of Southwark Vocations fame) is parish priest and my old University chum, Fr Marcus Holden, is curate. This morning I went to neighbouring St Bede's, Clapham Park, blessed with a large presbytery which hosts various priests' meetings during the year, thanks to the generosity of the PP, Fr Christopher Basden. 19 brother priests were present, mostly from Southwark, though the only other Westminster priest was Mgr Canon Frederick Miles (Prot Ap), former Rector of Spanish Place, who I was particularly delighted to see. Here's a picture of the assembled company gathered at the luncheon table:



A trip to Thorntons bookshop on the Fulham Rd followed, which has a large basement of Catholic secondhand books (pure bliss!). I bought an 1898 life of St Hugh of Lincoln (£2), a two volume life of St Philip Neri by Cardinal Capecelatro (£10) and Kirk's famous biographical survey of eighhteenth century English Catholics (a bargain at £4). Here's a snap of my friend, Fr Richard Whinder, hunting for treasures:

4 Comments:

Blogger FatherTF said...

Really sorry to have missed the gathering at Clapham Park today. I had a burial of ashes and a school Mass.

Fr Richard Whinder doesn't yet have a blog himself but his photo is finding its way randomly across the blogosphere...

1:18 am  
Blogger Fr Nicholas said...

Yes we missed you - but I'm sure there will be another opportunity for a 'Bloggers Meet' photo (hopefully before Martyrs' Day)!

7:47 am  
Blogger Father John Boyle said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I hope you didn't mind me copying your excellent photos! Thanks for the talk!

12:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fr Schofield,

Noticed you purchased a book by Cardinal Alfonso Capecelatro. He was my grandmothers uncle.

I have an original copy of his work "Le Virtu Cristiane" and "S. Caterina Da Siena" along with a famliy "Capecelatro" Coat of Arms and an original photographic negative of him.

It would be fantastic to correspond with someone who is familiar with his work. Any interest? Or, can you direct me to someone in the Church who would have an interest? I would like to learn more about my heritage...

2:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>